Re: Why is firebird in Debian?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 02:22:33PM -0700, Dan Serban wrote:
> I've refused to work
> on past projects due to them being licensed under the MPL based on some
> discussion had on this list a few months/years? ago.  I sure hope I
> wasn't wrong in doing so.

Uh, guys, stop being insane.

1) The MPL requires you to make the source code to your modifications
available for six-to-twelve months electronically _or_ to make it
available on the same media as the executable version. We do the latter.

In addition, old sources are available unofficially via snapshot.debian.net,
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/pool/f/firebird2.0/source/Sources.gz

2) That you're not a lawyer or a DD means that you're not trained in
interpreting licenses, and that Debian's policies aren't based on your
opinion -- in both cases. That means that you're not in a position to
speak authoritively about most of the issues that come up on this list,
so when what you write is written in a way that people will misinterpret
as an authoritative answer, that's a problem, which is only compounded
if what you say is also incorrect.

Licensing analysis requires an ability to understand subtleties of
language, and I wouldn't expect anyone who's competent at that to need
the above repeatedly explained.

3) Not understanding the license or how we're complying with it doesn't mean
we aren't.

4) That a license is DFSG-free doesn't mean it's "good" any more than
a license not being DFSG-free means it's "bad" -- there are lots of
reasons to not use DFSG-free licenses or software under the licenses,
and there are lots of reasons to use and work on software that's under
DFSG-non-free licenses. The DFSG is *Debian's* free software guidelines,
that're meant to be useful for *Debian* to make decisions.

Personally, if I've got a choice, I don't use licenses that are GPL
incompatible, eg, which the MPL certainly is. Another complaint with
the MPL is that it's designed for Mozilla, rather than general use
by random organisations, which has led to a fair bit of unnecessary
license proliferation as people make minor changes to the MPL to apply
it to their software. But those considerations aren't ones that make a
difference for DFSG-freeness.

Cheers,
aj