Re: Automatic retrieval of information from qa.debian.org

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:00:11 +0200, Lupe Christoph writes:
>> But I do not know, how to combinate it with a "Dipl. Ing." which
>> would be something like "Madame Dr. Dipl. Ing. Konzack" wich sounds
>> a little bit weird...

>Ask the Austrians. Especially people from Vienna. They know all the
>subtileties with titles.

It's an old tradition stemming from a *long* history with bureaucracy.

>In the restaurant near their shared house in Austria, the wife of the
>Viennese professor was addressed as "Frau Professor", being the wife of
>one.

That particular habit should be dying out with about my grandparents
 generation.

>My experience with Viennes tells me that Dr. Dipl. Ing. is correct. It
>serves to distuingish an earned title from an honorary doctor.

Nope. Both I and the colleague across the room agree that it should be
 "Dipl.-Ing. Dr.", on the theory that a university-earned (vs. honorary)
 "Dr." is actually part of the name, whereas the Dipl.-Ing. more of a
 title.

But that's all not interesting, actually, unless you add other titles[0]
 into the mix (like Mag., Dipl.-Ing.(FH), Ing., Hof-/Medizinalrat etc. -
 there are quite many of them available, particularly if you're into
 high-level bureaucracy).

0: Actually, not all of those are "titles", but I sure as hell wouldn't
 know how to translate "Standesbezeichnung".

cheers,
&rw
--
-- the BOFHs rule