Re: unhappy customer

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:47:42AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> Speaking from limited experience. The graphical configurator xf86cfg that is
> used in Woody is such a useless heap of shit that I suspect that it must have
> been donated by Microsoft. By useless heap of shit I mean that it actually
> does nothing, you can move from button to button to invoke some action but
> nothing at all happens.

You use 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' to configure X on woody in
general, unless you happen to need on of the old 3.x X servers (which
your S3 mentioned below probably would, although I have used S3 Trio
chips with 4.x without problems as far as I remember).

> There was a graphics config program in Potato that was a bit painful but it
> did at least work though I do not recall the name of it. FWIW program with
> the same interface is used in Slackware to this day.
>
> It's not hard to work around the useless thing.  xf86config is a text based
> configurer that generates a XF86Config file that will need to be renamed
> afterward to XF86Config-4 if using XFree86 version 4.1 the default for Woody.
> I found that worked with nvidia chipsets using the nv driver.

XFree86 -configure is also a good way to generate a starting config file
that can manually be tweaked for op;timal performance.

> For S3Trio chipsets that often turn up on older hardware, it is necessary to
> install the xserver-s3 package because the vesa driver is broken for S3Trio
> in XFree86 version 4.1 .
>
> Apart from that, many things work better in Debian than other distros.
> pppconfig for one thing is much better than the KPPP in Fedora for just one
> example.

I wouldn't think kppp is the recomended option in fedora, unless redhat
got rid of their own network config tool.  kppp to me has always been a
terrible piece of junk and really why ever should a desktop environment
have any tool for configuring the systems network links?  it doesn't
belong there are all.

Len Sorensen