Re: unhappy customer

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 02:47, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:47:42AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> > Speaking from limited experience. The graphical configurator xf86cfg that
> > is used in Woody is such a useless heap of shit that I suspect that it
> > must have been donated by Microsoft. By useless heap of shit I mean that
> > it actually does nothing, you can move from button to button to invoke
> > some action but nothing at all happens.
>
> You use 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' to configure X on woody in
> general, unless you happen to need on of the old 3.x X servers (which
> your S3 mentioned below probably would, although I have used S3 Trio
> chips with 4.x without problems as far as I remember).

Just tried 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and at least it gave me a
sensible dialogue to work with, unlike the piece of crap that appeared after
the last XFree update a few weeks ago.

I've been told that some S3Trio chipsets work, but I've never experienced
them. OTOH S3Virge seem to be ok with XFree v4.1. Also, there seems to be no
problem with the vesa driver for S3Trio in version 4.2.

> > There was a graphics config program in Potato that was a bit painful but
> > it did at least work though I do not recall the name of it. FWIW program
> > with the same interface is used in Slackware to this day.
> >

> > Apart from that, many things work better in Debian than other distros.
> > pppconfig for one thing is much better than the KPPP in Fedora for just
> > one example.
>
> I wouldn't think kppp is the recomended option in fedora, unless redhat
> got rid of their own network config tool.  kppp to me has always been a
> terrible piece of junk and really why ever should a desktop environment
> have any tool for configuring the systems network links?  it doesn't
> belong there are all.

What is the Fedora/Redhat tool called?
Thanks
Bob Parker