Re: Give your partner more pleasure

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 01:43:45PM +0100, Michael Graham said:

> According to [1] in 1998 the average production worker in the US paid
> 18% income tax and 8% to social security, in the UK paid 17% income tax
> and 7% to social security. And I assume that in the US the average
> production worker would still have to pay for medical care.

Don't forget that rather a lot of that US expense goes to pay for the
defense of the UK.

> Now I don't doubt that higher earners pay more in the UK but remember a
> nation's greatness should be judged by how it treats the least of its
> citizens.

No; it should be judged by how many of its least are able to rise above
that.  A nation that has 99% poor can treat them well all day long, but
a nation that has 10% poor is treating 89% of its people a lot better.

But, the average "poor" person in the US has cable TV, a carpetted
floor, full health care, the right to worship as he pleases, and enough
money to eat at McDonalds.  Compare this to the average middle-class
person worldwide.

--
Shawn McMahon      | Let's set the record straight. There is no argument
EIV Consulting     | over the choice between peace and war, but there is