Re: unhappy customer

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 07:28, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:47:42AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> > xf86config is a text based
> > configurer that generates a XF86Config file that will need to be renamed
> > afterward to XF86Config-4 if using XFree86 version 4.1 the default for
> > Woody.
>
> ...why? I'm using Woody / X 4.1, I used xf86config, I've got an XF86Config,
> but I've never had an XF86Config-4. I've got another system using
> Woody and a backport of X 4.3, again with XF86Config but no
> XF86Config-4.
>
> In fact I'm not even sure where XF86Config-4 comes from... must be one
> of those questions asked during installation which I answer (a) very
> rarely and (b) automatically that causes it to be generated, or not
> generated. I reckon that whatever answer I automatically give is the
> one that causes it not to be generated. I've never had it, anyway!

XF86Config-4 is generated by xf86cfg and/or 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'
and my understanding (or misunderstanding) was that XFree version 4.x wanted
that rather than XF86Config, which is generated by xf86config. Maybe it falls
back to XF86Config in the absence of the '-4' version.

Cheers
Bob Parker