Re: unhappy customer

Tucker was the subject of a movie that had Jeff Bridges playing Preston
Tucker-an inventor that wants to make a new improved auto..
find it here at imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096316/
(if this list doesnt let the link go thru then just do a search at imdb.
com on jeff bridges)
seeing how this was going to revolutionize car making the big 3 ran him
out of business...he had a contract to make 50 cars in 1 year (a big
feat in post ww2 days)which he ended up doing..but in the trial they
falsely alleged that he was just trying to scam investor money (in an
ironic twist he had ALL 50 cars parked outside the courtroom however the
judge would NOT let the jury look outside to see whether or not Tucker
had fulfulled the contract or not..they had to decide based only on the
evidence brought forth against him--talk about a kangaroo court)

essentially he wanted to:
put safety glass in the windsheild (which the big 3 automakers didnt
want to do because of cost)
add a seatbelt restraint system (which the big 3 said would advertise
the fact that cars were unsafe)
create a headlamp system that would turn in the direction that you were
turning for improved vision ( a feature unused but comming out now in
some 2005/2006 autos)
and put the engine in the back of the vehicle for better
traction/handling (porsche/mazda/Lamborghini have all used that rear
engine model in their sportscars)

-Later,
DAVE
--
Linux because I am a geek
Debian because I am a super-geek!

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:50:17PM -0500, David Brown wrote:
> > just remember if the 'BETTER' product won all the time we would all
have
> > Beta machines in our dens
>
> ...make that V2000 :-)
>
> > and Tucker's parked in our driveways...