Re: Boulder Pledge

Am Montag, 3. Februar 2003 01:29 schrieb Alexander Hvostov:

Oops, this first went to Alexander's PM accidentally :(

> That is an MUA problem, not an HTML problem. There have been plenty of

Yes, this just doesn't make it better.

> security holes in MUAs not related to HTML in the past.

Indeed, but again, this doesn't make it better.

> Indeed, but that defeats the purpose of my wish that the world would
> standardize on HTML.

Yep, that's it with high wishes. But HTML is really not a good idea
everywhere, exactly because the use _can_ format his mails. Have you ever
been sent green text with pink background? Okay, that was ICQ, but from the
day I got that message on kxicq has an "ignore colors" setting ;)

If you want formatted text, attach a PDF file. I know, this isn't what you
want and as Handys show, _only_ stupid ill-colored fuzzy blinking and maybe
even beeping shit will be the result of HTML mails everywhere.

But on the other hand, if tables and frames and images and such crap would be
forbidden in such a standard, a MUA could easily parse this to text only...

By the way, the start of this discussion was text width, and this is a real
problem in HTML, as you surely have seen, as stupid users give table or page
widths in pixels so it fits their screen in their resolution. And before
Alexander complains again that this is not an HTML problem, it is.
Technologies and their users belong together and as long as users don't write
proper HTML, you won't get any benefit from using it. So, with HTML mails,
this discussion would be repeated in 2005 maybe about the maximum pixel width
of a signature, with some people crying out loud for not using percent of the
page width and others who try to fulfill their wish that E-Mails are gonna be
Flash(TM) only ;)
It is no problem to write HTML so that it looks okay everywhere, but the
reality shows _a lot_ of opposite examples.

Thomas Ritter