Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

2002-06-10 12:45

People want things as ''safe'' as possible.  Friend of mine owns a
small business and wants to use Linux as a mail server.  So he
goes out and buys ... Red Hat.  Why?  Because in his view it's the
''best'' distribution out there.  Seems that it is the *only one* he has
ever heard of.  Can you imagine this group of IT decision makers
using/testing an ''unstable'' or ''pre-release'' version of Debian??

A n d r e

--On Montag, 10. Juni 2002 12:04 +0200 vdongen <vdongen@hetisw.nl> wrote:

>> cycle
> I had the big "unstable" name problem here, ppl translated it to "not -
> stable (like atoms can be unstable and blow up any minute)". The mayor
> fix is calling it either "sid" or in development.
> Our servers here run on sid, since potato is much too old for us.
> If it wasn't for my advocacy and for the lack of apt in other dists, we
> would be running redhat now.
> When we do a dist-upgrade, we do it on a non-critical machine first....
> That seems to help, although we haven't had a mayor problem with
> unstable packages in months.

Uhm, well, the server guys are not complaining about names...
They base their decissions mostly on technical data ;-) And in
unstable, although from personal experience I can say that
it's usually more stable than most released "commercial"
distributions, the problem is that even the base system
still keeps changing a lot. Too much for a staged upgrade
structure (apt-get upgrade a test machine first than upgrade
the local ftp server and upgrade the live systems from this)
and much too much to give the _impression_ of a "ready for
production" dist.

Cheers, Marcel