Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

I'm that kind of guy who tried most distributions on linux.org, a lot of
the pre-1.0 are very nice and have some features I like (esp. beehive which
I build packages and write doc for ;)

Anyways, those are usually not very... trustworthy for servers :)

Of all the mainstream distributions I've used, potato has been the most
successful, because of that simple reason that the base has remained stable
and apt-get is a wonderful tool (lazy admins dont even have to read up on
bugtraq and debian-secure, not that I'd ever go there, ahem). I can't use
sid for servers (have to recompile my services when base changes, grr), and
it is a dependency hell on workstations (unless you stay away from bloated
gui's, but I like to try out stuff ): )

However, XFree3.3.6 on a modern workstation? I think not.
I'm looking forward to Woody so I can finally use debian(gnu)linux on my
workstations (uhm). But if some fool releases it before the base is stable,
bugfixed and secure, I'll kill the lot of you. I can wait another year for
a good system, pushing things breaks them. Please don't do go there. I want
a stable base (with security updates), and I haven't seen another
distrobution live up to that (and I hate RedHat, probably just me).

I haven't tried any pre-woody builds yet, but the package-list looks very
promising, thx for building such a great distrobution, and I hope that
woody, when released, remains the stable release for another 2 years to
come, this is what _I_ need and love.

>> > cycle

I thought often release cycles = unstable s...
I don't see the point of having the newest of the newest if you're not a
developer (and then you got sid)...

         dP / Takhis.Net

ps: UnitedLinux and UnbreakableLinux - What is the deal with these
profiteers? Doesn't Debian live up to all they want? :)
If these companies had armies... wee