Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

--On Montag, 10. Juni 2002 12:04 +0200 vdongen <vdongen@hetisw.nl> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:35:08AM +0100, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Marcel Hicking wrote:
> > So I fear that all godd arguments for Debian will
> > be simple overun by the faster and seemingly more reliable relase
cycle
> > of other distribs. Sight.
I had the big "unstable" name problem here, ppl translated it to "not -
stable (like atoms can be unstable and blow up any minute)". The mayor
fix is calling it either "sid" or in development.
Our servers here run on sid, since potato is much too old for us.
If it wasn't for my advocacy and for the lack of apt in other dists, we
would be running redhat now.
When we do a dist-upgrade, we do it on a non-critical machine first....
That seems to help, although we haven't had a mayor problem with
unstable packages in months.

Uhm, well, the server guys are not complaining about names...
They base their decissions mostly on technical data ;-) And in
unstable, although from personal experience I can say that
it's usually more stable than most released "commercial"
distributions, the problem is that even the base system
still keeps changing a lot. Too much for a staged upgrade
structure (apt-get upgrade a test machine first than upgrade
the local ftp server and upgrade the live systems from this)
and much too much to give the _impression_ of a "ready for
production" dist.

Cheers, Marcel