Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:35:08AM +0100, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Marcel Hicking wrote:
> > So I fear that all godd arguments for Debian will
> > be simple overun by the faster and seemingly more reliable relase cycle
> > of other distribs. Sight.
>
> For release cycles, "faster" and "more reliable" tend to pull in opposite
> directions. (The sooner you release, the less time you've had to check it
> all fits together.)

yes, but i think it's clear at this point that debian's "stable"
would almost be better named "stale".  sure, you and i are happy
to run unstable and deal with the occasional borken package, but
most institutions refuse to use debian b/c stable is too old, and
unastable is too iffy.  maybe it's partly in the naming, but they
really are scared by unstable.

--Rob

--
| "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"               |