Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

--On Montag, 10. Juni 2002 10:35 +0100 Thomas Thurman <thomas@thurman.org.uk> wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Marcel Hicking wrote:
So I fear that all godd arguments for Debian will
be simple overun by the faster and seemingly more reliable relase cycle
of other distribs. Sight.

For release cycles, "faster" and "more reliable" tend to pull in opposite
directions. (The sooner you release, the less time you've had to check it
all fits together.)

*I* know that, the server guys know it, and a quick look at
the bug announcements for RedHat, SuSE etc. show it,too.
But when time pressure comes in to make a decission, well,
Debian is just not an option. So, whatever the quality is
- and *I* am very convinced here - the second best solution
will be choosen. And will stay "forever". You just don't change
the OS on doozens or even hundreds of live servers.

Cheers,
Marcel