Re: Footer test 2: Was: Re: UNSIBSCRIBE ME GODDAMMNED !!!!! I"M FED UP WITH IT !!!!

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 08:22:09AM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> > > Mr Powers' email has a cute little "how to unsubscribe" thing
> > > tacked on the end.  Mr Kluit's didn't.  Troll?
> >
> > MR KLUIT's mail did, too. But below the MIME delimiter that tells
> > your user agent that the mail body is finished.
> >
> > Hmmm. NOT. Now *that* is really strange.
>
> This may be a red herring, but it looks to me like unsigned (by GPG)
> messages get the footer attached normally, while signed ones get it
> after the signature (as you'd expect) and it isn't displayed in the
> mail client.

At least with my Mutt install, the unsubscribe message was visible in
Test 1, and concealed in Test 2 (this one).

> Maybe just a side effect of using GPG.
>
> As a test, this message IS signed. I will also send this message
> through UNsigned.

Looking over the original email, GPG wasn't an issue, the mail wasn't
GPG signed.  It was, however, one of those multipart emails with a
text/plain version and a text/html version, so it still had those mime
delimiters in it.

For what it's worth, if someone is interested in recreating the
problem, I couldn't identify the mail client from the header:

But, he HTML version had tags like:

hemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";>

and

This leads me to suspect that it was a Microsoft Word 2002 document
sent as email to the list.  Why someone would horribly misuse
Microsoft tools in this way just to post to a Debian GNU/Linux list is
beyond me.

-Gleef (David Zoll)