(same length) Re: (long) Re: Why would I want an LFS system?

Hi,

Quoting Gerard Beekmans <gerard@linuxfromscratch.org>:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:01:40PM +0100, Csan (Ja'nos Hola'nyi) wrote:
> > Still, i feel like on the URL I included from linuxfromscratch.org,
> your text
> > could be interpreted in an ambigous way.
>
> I've come to realize that too (I've been thinking and re-reading the
> intro
> page after I wrote my email) and as such I'll remove the specific
> references to distribution names and just put a generic term like
> "regular
> distributions" (as opposed to LFS that's not really considered regular
> in
> anybody's mind). I see how people can get offended by me calling Debian
> or
> Redhat by name. It was only meant to give an example of what I consider
> regular distribution, but I'll just remove it and leave it up to the
> reader
> to decide for him/herself.

Yes! <insert fanfare here> It was worth it...
Thank you for being so open-minded and constructive. *grin*
(Where's the champaign??!)

With you acting as such, your project has already grown (back) into my eyes. ;)

> So what do you learn from compiling that a pre-compiled binary doesn't
> give
> (at least that's what I think. If somebody doesn't agree, well we live
> in a
> free world ;o)?

<nod nod>

> > This list is debian-curiosa, and as such, I felt like that kind of
> little pun
> > could be tolerated (the 'debianfromscratch' part) ;)
>
> It's actually not a bad idea I think. There are people on the LFS
> mailinglist I've seen who don't build LFS systems. They use the book as
> guideline to build <insert favorite distro> from scratch (i've seen it
> done
> to Mandrake and Slackware).

As I wrote, the debianfromscratch project is the Debian project itself.
(and Debian/GNU Linux is, by nature, linuxfromscratch *grin*)

Haven't you considered joining forces with the Debian project and write a patch
to enable something like

'apt-get --compile --dest /dev/hda2 source linuxfromscratch'?

(LOL)
That way you'd have a solid stable Debian base and still have a partition where
 you could learn a lot - if not from the debian sources themselves :)

> > E.g. If you spread your files all over your system following your own
> rules than
> > you will have real hard times finding somebody to help in case of
> need.
>
> True. Consider this:
> If you have enough Linux experience to be able to spread files around
> all
> over the place and breaking the standard conventions (like the FHS),
> then
> you most likely know exactly what you are doing and are not going to
> need
> any help from people that need to login to your system and do stuff.

A very recent example: I joined #mozillazine on irc.mozilla.org for asking why I
can't have mozilla 0.9.7 recognize my freshly installed jre1.4.0rc1, in spite of
doing what the Mozilla relnotes said: 'ln -sf /path/to/jre/plugin.so
libplugin.so' (don't remember the exact filenames). Among the first questions I
got 'In which directory do you run that command?' - well at that point I
realized I knew what they would going to say to my answer 'well, Mozilla
installs in /usr/local by default, so that could be a point'... (well, I
couldn't solve the problem with their help because of unknown reason, but that's
a whole different story ;))

I hope you get the idea. Not crucial, but still. It applies quite often. You got
to use the same terms and have the most similar environment for a quick answer
to a quick question.

> remaining things). Every distro should be FHS compliant to a certain
> degree
> so Debian people shouldn't have a hard time finding files on an LFS
> system.

That's a long story iirc (with some _other_ distros creating different standards).

Long live the Open Source community!

[EOT]

Best wishes,

Csan