Re: [curiosa] Re: Debian Centre of Mass

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 09:57:20PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach Philipp Meier (on Sat, 07 Jul 2001 09:44:38PM +0200):
> > 0 K should not be reached for security reasons ;-)) And Kelvin is
> > "K", kilo is "k".
>
> K. you are right. and even though i know that 'k' is used all over the
> place for kilo, i recall that's it's supposed to be K. in the metric
> system all powers of 10 greater than 0 use capital letters, (K, M, G,
> T), all powers of 10 less than 0 use lower case letters (m, mu, p, n).
> not meaning to start a war, seriously, this is just information that i
> remember to be a common misconception.

as much as that would make sense, sadly it's incorrect.
kilo- (k), hecto- (h), and deka- (da)  are greater than 1 and
have lower-case abbreviations:

     http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

while we're being disturbed, however, take a look at this:

     http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

--Rob

P.S. mebbe we should start recommending about 1 GiB for a full
	Debian install :)

--
| "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"               |