Re: Some thoughts on a fortune

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Bryan Voss wrote:

> Florian Zimmermann wrote:
>

> > this ipaq running familiar (or, if you prefer - intimate) and qpe feels
> > quite smooth now. there are some bucks to earn before, but i believe
> > in qpe as a toy, since toys and fun sell first on the mass market at
> > least. the mpeg-player is really cute and there are games like nethack
> > which were ported nicely. otoh there are e.g. the todo-list which does
> > a great day-to-day job for me and let me use it in an efficient way.
> > i just like it and can suggest it to every linux addicted,
> > and cause i spent roughly 500$ for it, these 2 cents
> > are..yea my last 2 cents ;-)
>

> Just out of curiosity, and I hope this isn't considered list clutter,
> how's the handwriting recognition under Linux on the IPAQ compared to
> WinCE or Palm OS?

this is list clutter, curios ;-)
but write recognition isn't a prob anymore, as far as i can tell.
there are  possibilities:
handwriting
keyboard (which i prefer)
pickboard
unicode

these one are unique and pickboard is said to be fastest etc.
so some say winCE input recog is best. i dunno any of them,
im used to 'keyboard' which /is/ fast if you know a bit where the keys
are on a normal keyboard and for me it's sometimes faster than typing
blindly on a real keyboard, since from the beginning i haven't had
any real structure for this 10 finger concepts etc. ;-)
but pickboard is really like 't9' a bit, dunno if you know etc.,
't9' is here (.de) a standard to type sms (with handy) very efficient
and i have no handy w/ t9 but i know it, and i think the pickboard
is based on a similar vision...

just try it out (http://qpe.sourceforge.net/x86.html),
feel free to d/l the qpe on your desktop pc, binaries are all
available for this 'simulator'...but you still have to move a 50gramm mouse
for it, so perhaps that's not a real feeling in contrast ;-)

and if you want to hear (i wanted) that m$ input methods are crap
i'd have to agree, the QT input methods are crap as well
(they copied from m$ the status bar, the menu, the...all this used to
'this' users, but these features don't feel very perfect from a developers
point of view) hear some discussion from a
congress(http://www.mikro.org/Events/OS/wos2/videos.html) i visited
and especially listen to this
(http://www.mikro.org/Events/OS/wos2/topics-e.html#swculture)

cheers,