Re: Some thoughts on a fortune

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

[...]

> Assumes the quotation has useful meaning. If it "fits in the pocket"
> it can't really have a screen more than perhaps 6 cm wide or long.
> Think cellphone screen. As a sweeping generalization, most people have
> trouble seeing anything smaller than 0.1 mm. So, a screen with 0.1 mm
> resolution and 4096 pixels wide would have a physical width of about
> 41 centimeters, which is not really pocket sized anymore. Unless you
> have a fold up screen there is no sense in a 4096 pixel pocket sized
> display.

Nonsense. You have surely seen the occasional poorly rendered font on
the screen, right? Heck, look at a /nicely/ rendered one...

...and contrast it to the output of a good quality laser printer or the
quality of print in a high quality offset printed book or glossy...

Now, wouldn't /you/ want to have text that nice on your PDA?

Sure, you can't see each and every pixel in your 4k by 4k screen at 2x3
inches. What you can see, though, is that you get a *wonderful* DPI and,
from that, fonts that render as well as a book. :)

Just because you can still see each pixel doesn't make it a /good/
thing. :)

        Daniel

--
I keep my head above the surface, trying to breath, looking for land.
I keep an eye at the distant horizon waiting for help, clutching the sky.