Re: Mailing list headers

John Galt wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Jason McCarty wrote:
>
> >MJ Ray wrote:
> >>
> >> Then why bother setting a header no-one sees at all?  My point is that the
> >> M-F-T header is useless for conveying *whether or not* you want a cc and you
> >> might as well put your preference in your sig too.  Berating people saying
> >> "look at some headers" is rather daft.
> >
> >Consider it a courtesy to users whose MUAs support M-F-T. Their
> >group-reply command will send to the right addresses automatically,
> >without them having to manually set To:/CC:.
> >
> >It's true that you shouldn't have to mention it at all, if you don't want
> >to be CC'd. But some people don't know about the mailing list policy
> >unless someone tells them.
> >
> >If you do want to be CC'd, I'd agree that you should mention it in your
> >mail, as well as your M-F-T (if you use that). I would even put it in
> >the body, rather than the sig.
>
> Why do I get an extra burden?  Can you not do the same?  Why is it that
> you shouldn't have to ask not to be CC'd and I have to ask every time I
> email?  You're putting an unfair burden on the "CC me all the time" camp,

You get an "extra" burden because the majority of people prefer not to
be CC'd on list mail. This consensus is reflected by Debian's mailing
list code of conduct [1], and posters can legitimately be expected to
read and follow those guidelines. If you don't like the guidelines, try
to get them changed. Otherwise, don't be surprised when people point out
that they don't want to be CC'd.

> as well as giving them vitriol when they do nothing more than follow the
> Golden Rule.  I would suggest that everyone that has issues with
> extraneous CCs do exactly what I do when I fail to get CC'd: live with it
> silently.

I do live with it silently. I rarely post anyway, so it's not an issue
for me. But if I posted a lot, especially on a bigger list like
debian-user, duplicate messages could become quite aggravating. Which is
a good justification for the list guidelines being the way they are.