Re: TC overriding delegates' decisions

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 12:46:30PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Dear secretary,
> (CC'ing FTP Master and TC for information)
>
> The TC has recently been running in circles with different considerations
> about its possibility to override delegate's decisions.

This seems to come up from time to time, and I think I've always
said the same thing, and I'm not sure if anybody is disagreeing
with this. I you disagree with anything I say, please speak up.

(Should this also be send to some other list, like -project?)

> I'm therefore hereby
> requesting an interpretation of the constitution on the following questions:
>
> * Generally, can the Technical Committee override delegates' decisions?

I can't find any place in the constitution that gives the CTTE the
power to overrule the DPL or a delegate directly. I don't think
this falls under 6.1.4.

However, I think the CTTE might make decisions using it's other
power that have the same effect. Which is one of the reason I've
always asked to be clear about which power you're using.

>   - How does the last sentence in §2 [0] apply?

I think that points to general intention of the document, and that
sentence has as effect that you really can't tell anything about
it and that you need to look at the other articles to know who can
do what.

>   - Would it then do it under §6.1.2 (simple majority) or §6.1.4
>     (3:1 majority)?

I think I need convincing that this falls under 6.1.2.

>   - Is this only possible for "The Developers by way of GR" through §4.1.3 ?

The only way I can see how to overrule a delegate of the DPL is by using a GR.

> * Specifically, given the current delegation of the FTP Masters [1], assuming a
> decision about non-suitability for the 'main' suite for a specific package
> according to their interpretation of the DFSG, could the TC override their
> decision to let the package enter 'main' nevertheless?
>
> * In general, given the FTP Masters current delegation and the constitution,
> which of the 'Developers by way of GR' or the FTP Masters have the powers to
> decide about suitability for 'main' (aka 'DFSG interpretation') ?
> [Feel free to leave this eminently political and complicated question
> unanswered for now; I suspect the answer might be 'it is currently undefined';
> in which case we could have a larger debate in the community.]

I don't see how I can answer the first question without answering
the second question, so I guess I'm going to leave this undefined
for now.

But I have a related question. Do the Developers by way of GR have
the power to overrule a Developer? I assumed they did, but it's at
least not obvious.

Kurt