Re: TC overriding delegates' decisions

On 14453 March 1977, Didier Raboud wrote:
> * Generally, can the Technical Committee override delegates' decisions?
>   - How does the last sentence in §2 [0] apply?
>   - Would it then do it under §6.1.2 (simple majority) or §6.1.4
>     (3:1 majority)?
>   - Is this only possible for "The Developers by way of GR" through §4.1.3 ?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2009/09/msg00008.html
and the followups have some good points.

> * Specifically, given the current delegation of the FTP Masters [1], assuming a
> decision about non-suitability for the 'main' suite for a specific package
> according to their interpretation of the DFSG, could the TC override their
> decision to let the package enter 'main' nevertheless?

I don't think that this could be done by the CTTE. 6.1.4 does not fit,
6.1.3 we haven't asked for. 6.1.1 does not fit (not a technical policy),
6.1.2 also does not fit.

> * In general, given the FTP Masters current delegation and the constitution,
> which of the 'Developers by way of GR' or the FTP Masters have the powers to
> decide about suitability for 'main' (aka 'DFSG interpretation') ?
> [Feel free to leave this eminently political and complicated question
> unanswered for now; I suspect the answer might be 'it is currently undefined';
> in which case we could have a larger debate in the community.]

That one is simple. FTPMasters or a GR can decide on this, 4.1.3 gives a
GR the same weight as a decision by the delegate the GR affects. (It's
*Make* or override, so as long as a delegate hasn't formally issued a statement
yet, a GR can step in to do so).

--
bye, Joerg
(23:02) <liw> I should take a photograph of my stapler, the maker of which is "RAPESCO"