Re: Resigning from the TC

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:28:04AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > I hereby declare my intent to resign from the Debian Technical
> > Committee.  The Constitution doesn't really have a clear procedure for
> > handling resignations here; I expect the TC will want to appoint a new
> > member, which I appreciate might take a while.  Subject to advice from
> > the DPL and/or the TC Chair, I'd be willing to stay in post until no
> > later than the end of January or until a new member is appointed, or
> > alternatively to have my resignation take effect immediately.  Let me
> > know what seems best.
>
> I would prefer you retain your seat on the TC at least until the current
> GR concludes and we see what, if any, action Ian Jackson chooses to take
> in the wake of that GR.

I'm willing to stick around for a while, but my practical ability to do
very much may be limited, so I'd prefer not to be a lame duck for too
long.

> Particularly with Russ' resignation that I read this morning, I would
> like to avoid resignations precipitating an imminent constitutional
> crisis, so that the work to draft a proposed GR tweaking things like TC
> composition, term limits, etc, can proceed with due consideration to a
> natural conclusion.

I confess to having lost track of what effect my resignation would have
on things like the TC term limit GR, especially given Ian's and Russ's
resignations.

> > I appreciate that the timing is such that this looks like a response to
> > Joey's mails, or perhaps to some other recent discussions.  That isn't
> > the case.  I've been doing a good deal of refactoring of my life
> > recently as a result of realising that I was burning out [1], and right
> > now it's important that I make an effort to spend my Debian time on
> > things I find relaxing rather than things I've been finding stressful.
>
> I completely understand this, and I suspect many of us on the TC are
> feeling about the same way right now.  I know I am.
>
> Thanks in any case for your contributions both to the TC and other parts
> of the Debian ecosystem over the years.  I greatly value them, and your
> friendship, and look forward to continuing to be able to work together
> with you on lots more cool stuff in the future!

Indeed so!