Re: please stop

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014, Joey Hess wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > I am astounded that, in #762194, the technical committe has
> >
> > > 1. Decided it should make a decision, when no disagreement
> > >    between maintainers of affected packages is involved.
> >
> > Er, what decision did we make in that bug?
> >
> > The reason why I supported that resolution is that it's *not* a decision.
>
> 4. For the moment, we invite concrete proposals for technical changes
>    which would arrange that 1. new jessie installations using Linux
>    would get systemd but 2. existing installations retain their
>    existing init system so far as possible.
>
> That appears to be an implicit decision that the cttee is overruling the
> current upgrade path.

I can see now how it could be read that way, but that was not the intent
(or at least, my intent).

In order for the CTTE to actually decide the core question of #762194
(whether upgrades should always get systemd or not), we have to have
concrete technical proposals which implement either one of those
solutions.

In the absence of concrete technical proposals with adequate testing,
I personally am unwilling to make a decision.

This paragraph sought to obtain these technical proposals.

In retrospect, the paragraph probably should have been reworded to also
request technical proposals for existing installations to switch to
systemd on upgrade which also allow for opting out.

Please consider this a request for those as well.

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it.
 -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi