Re: Picking a new member - process

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:32:31AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Don Armstrong (don@debian.org) [131106 23:41]:
> > I'm OK with voting on the entire slate of nominees who were willing to
> > serve, even if that means that some might be ranked below FD, but I
> > would accept nominees telling the CTTE to do otherwise.

> If we vote only on those who are proposed here by a tech ctte member,
> this would decrease the number of people voted below FD. Plus,
> everyone should be number one on at least one vote (or I hope at least
> people only propose someone who would be number one on their vote)

Condorcet frequently chooses winners that are the compromise candidate -
someone who is not the first choice on *any* voter's ballot, but who is
acceptable to all (or a majority of) voters.  We should not artificially
exclude the Condorcet winner by imposing a new rule that each TC member can
only propose one ballot option, or that the ballot option they propose must
be their first choice.