Re: Picking a new member - process

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes ("Re: Picking a new member - process"):
> > If the way each member voted were obscured, I wouldn't have a problem
> > with a public vote. However, since actually obscuring votes is difficult
> > when there are so few voters, I'm not sure how that would be handled.
>
> Constitution 6.3(4) says the votes should be public.

Heh. I even read the constitution before I replied, and clearly totally
missed that.

> Obviously we could subvert this by having a pre-vote on the -private
> list to select a single candidate to publicly vote to put forward to
> the DPL but that hardly seems like following the spirit of the
> constitution.

Right. I don't particularly like that the vote has to be public,
(primarily because it might appear to have the CTTE casting aspersions
on someone) but since that's what the constitution says, we should
follow it scrupulously.

I'm OK with voting on the entire slate of nominees who were willing to
serve, even if that means that some might be ranked below FD, but I
would accept nominees telling the CTTE to do otherwise.

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien
a ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien a retrancher.
(Perfection is apparently not achieved when nothing more can be added,
but when nothing else can be removed.)
 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupe'ry, Terres des Hommes