Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> So, before I summit a bug to the ctte and escalate this issue, I would
> like some advices from both the new DPL and the ctte.

I'm part of neither and I can understand your frustration but your mail
has been written too quickly while the emotion level was still too high.

It results in multiple inaccuracies and reflects badly on you (at least to
my eyes).

> I would like first the new DPL to express his view: is this the role of
> the FTP masters to overrule the technical opinion of a DD? Do they have
> the rights to block a package just on the ground that they only don't
> like how many binary packages it contains? Shouldn't they use, like
> every other DD, the BTS and the project lists to discuss such a
> technical issue?

The project has implictly granted powers to ftpmasters to apply some level
of technical review, they have even documented some of them:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

> As a consequence, I am questioning the motivation behind all this, and

This is the part where you cross the line that you should not have
crossed. You got a reject mail from Ansgar Burchardt, not from Ganneff
(and Ganneff is not DSA).

> Now, I would like some advice on how to move forward. Leaving this rot
> isn't an option for me.

If I were in the openstack team, I would personally query ansgar
privately, saying that I'm sorry for the harsh tone that got used and ask
him whether he will approve the packages now that the changelog has been
factorized in the -common package or if there's any other remaining issue
beside the multiple binary package for which multiple persons voiced their
support.

> To the ctte: What would be considered a reasonable delay before
> submitting a bug to the ctte?

It entirely depends on the kind of interactions that you manage to have
with ftpmasters.

But I would advise you to not bring the issue to the -ctte as long as
communication with ftpmasters is happening and as long as forward progress
is being made.

I would also suggest you to step down in the communication with ftpmasters
and leave it up to someone else on the Openstack team, someone that is
less emotionnaly engaged than you.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/