Re: mumble and celt, #682010, TC

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:45:27, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Neil McGovern writes ("Re: mumble and celt, #682010, TC"):
[…]
> > I'm also a little disappointed that the version in unstable would cause
> > communication problems which means that any updates need to go through
> > t-p-u. I haven't looked at depth in this, but would re-adding the celt
> > dependancy to the sid package, and getting it back in unstable make the
> > world happy again?
>
> Yes, it might well.  We would have to re-add the celt package to sid.

Yes, along with an update to the Mumble package in Sid to allow using the celt
library, until the transition away from use of celt in versions of Mumble.

However the Mumble package as it exists in Wheezy is undistributable, as Ron
told me (in #675971, message #86) -- it is not buildable due to issues with
gcc 4.7 and zero-ice.  Ron did a lot of work on zero-ice and hardcoded use of
gcc 4.6 for the version of Mumble in Sid -- but the version in Sid doesn't use
the celt library right now.

> > Finally, it would be wonderful if this could all be sorted out in
> > unstable and then someone can let us know what's going on with a
> > coherent message, that would be fantastic.
>
> Great.
>
> So in summary, the conclusion seems to be:
>
>  * If we cannot find a maintainer for celt who looks like they'll be
>    able to handle it for the lifetime of wheezy then we need to allow
>    the current mumble (and perhaps other rdepends) in sid to propagate
>    and will then be able to remove celt from wheezy.

I'd be okay with this except that Mumble package in Sid doesn't mention
compatability issues in NEWS.Debian to let users know of compatability
problems.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle