Bug#682010: re celt and mumble referred to the TC
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 08:00:11, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Thursday, July 19, 2012 05:38:47, Ron wrote:
> > If I'd known that Thorvald was not going to be here to manage this
> > transition for Wheezy, I'd have never agreed to shipping libcelt in
> > the Squeeze release either, and would have instead kept it in sid
> > only. If I'd known that his plan to have all other distros ship
> > the 0.7.1 release as a temporary interoperability snapshot would
> > fail as dismally as it did (no other distro shipped this version
> > except debian derivatives who took it from us), I'd have similarly
> > vetoed the idea of shipping this as a public library in the last
> > stable release too.
> This was definitely not clear; if it had been I wouldn't have considered
> re- enabling it as a potential solution.
... except that Nicos Gollan stated that mumble servers have a base assumption
that clients have the CELT 0.7.1 codec available. :-/ Is that correct?
> > I see that this proposal has already resulted in Chris skating down
> > the slippery slope of "let's re-enable it for everything else too".
> > And we'll get people with no experience or prior involvement to
> > maintain it, and we'll enable multi-arch too, and ...
> In terms of re-enabling CELT, I was simply looking upon this as a matter of
> fairness to other maintainers. If it's decided only Mumble requires an
> exception to use CELT 0.7.1 (which right now doesn't sound like the right
> thing to do), I'm fine with that.
I mixed up the last sentence above; I was trying to say that I was fine with
only Mumle using CELT 0.7.1 if it requires it, rather than any package that
could theoretically use it.