Re: Debian TC representative on the Ubuntu Technical Board

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 04:53:14PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Colin, you mentioned some opportunity to define exactly what the role
> should involve... I'd be pleased to know more about what you hope to
> achieve and thus what sort of time commitment we're talking about?

Hi, sorry for the slow response.

We'd like to see that most significant technical discussions at the
board level in Ubuntu have some Debian involvement as well, so that we
can share advice, learn from each other's history, compare notes on
contentious issues that are coming up in both distributions, etc. (This
is as opposed to more local governance kinds of things; for example the
TB is currently the approver of new developer applications, although
we're about to devolve that. A Debian representative would probably not
be hugely interested in this kind of thing, although there's no reason
for those discussions to be closed.)

Like the TC, we're a body of last resort and so don't get involved in
every last operational detail, but quite a few interesting things have
come up for our review lately: samples over the last couple of months
include Mono's patent status, non-trivial updates to ClamAV in stable
releases, standards for base-2 vs. base-10 prefixes in user-visible
text, and best practices on statistics gathering for developers, all of
which seem to be immediately or potentially interesting for Debian too.
If it helps to get a handle on the time commitment involved, I reckon
that at the moment we're getting perhaps one issue every two weeks or so
that's not primarily internal to Ubuntu, and that might be of interest
to a Debian representative.

We can't really define the role without Debian involvement, so that's
part of what the representative would need to do; but does that give you
some idea of what we're talking about?

Regards,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]