Re: Code reformatting

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:19:14PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:14:45PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Because this is being done *in lieu of* merging the triggers branch, with
> > the result that the triggers branch becomes harder to merge afterwards.

> The triggers branch is already difficult to merge because it has numerous
> unrelated changes.

That's a fair criticism, but I don't think it changes the fact that making
style changes while there's a major branch merge outstanding is precisely
the wrong thing to be doing, because it directly impedes merging and causes
more work even if everyone agrees that the style changes are correct.

> > I agree with Ian that this is a bad thing.  I can't fathom why Guillem is
> > making changes like this while the triggers merge is outstanding, and I
> > agree with Ian that it should stop.

> From at least August last year, the triggers branch has had significant
> stylistic changes compared to the dpkg codebase.

If this means style changes to existing code, I agree that this is bad.  But
two wrongs don't make a right.

If the facts are shown to support this statement, it may be appropriate to
censure both parties.  But a "preliminary injunction" would still be an
appropriate response to actions that are actively harming the merge of a
feature that's important to Debian, would it not?

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2007/08/msg00014.html

It's not clear to me that these are stylistic *changes*, which to me implies
that the style of existing code has been altered, as opposed to style
differences and a request that people not complicate later merging by mixing
style and code changes in connection with this branch.