Re: Code reformatting

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:50:26PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:

> > Guillem is continuing to commit to what he and Raphael regard as the
> > master official dpkg tree, changes which are reformatting,
> > reorganisation, and so forth.

> I don't really see why that should not be allowed? I agree that it makes
> it harder for people with existing patches though one can argue that
> reformatting may make the code easier to maintain...

Because this is being done *in lieu of* merging the triggers branch, with
the result that the triggers branch becomes harder to merge afterwards.

I agree with Ian that this is a bad thing.  I can't fathom why Guillem is
making changes like this while the triggers merge is outstanding, and I
agree with Ian that it should stop.

But I note that Ian didn't cc: Guillem himself on his message, and I don't
have time for a more thorough reply at just this moment.  I'll try to catch
up with Ian's original message later this evening.

> As it's in a vcs, I don't see why they need to stop doing that as these
> commits on code reformatting can easily be reverted, no?

They can be - but isn't that counterproductive for everyone involved?