Re: Call for Votes (Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*)

Steve Langasek writes ("Re: Call for Votes (Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*)"):
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:13:38PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >   [1] Choice K: Keep current behaviour and existing policy, as above.
> >   [2] Choice F: Further discussion
>
> I agree with the rationale provided by Ian with his vote.

Thanks for your vote and your additional rationale in response to AJ,
(which as I say I agree with).

I'd like to make one small suggestion: when we members of TC member
vote, it would probably best if we remove the `>' quotation marks from
the LHS of the ballot.

Likewise, if we quote someone else's vote when replying to their
message, we should remove the ballot entirely or at least remove the
cut lines ("Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines").  Perhaps we
should rename the cut lines "Actual Ballot Is Between These Lines".

This will make it quite clear when the message is a vote, and when it
is just quoting of someone else's vote.  As an example of the
confusion that can arise otherwise:

  To: debian-ctte@lists.debian.org

  On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:54:51PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
  > On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:51:37PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
  > >  -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  > >  [ ] Choice X: Do not use rule 9, overrule maintainer, etc., as above.
  > >  [ ] Choice S: Sort IPv4 addrs according to rule 9 in getaddrinfo
  > >  [1] Choice M: Leave the choice up to the maintainers.
  > >  [2] Choice F: Further discussion
  > >  -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  > The don't delete anything between these lines seems pointless since we're
  > not using a program to tally votes...

  > [more discussion deleted - iwj]

  I do think that this bug warrants fixing in stable,
  [ rest of response deleted -iwj]

It seems clear to me from context and content that the author of
<jS15UNlaTtL.A.umB.sf8VHB> did not intend to vote 1:M,2:F on this
ballot, but was merely quoting AJ.

But if we continue the habit of voting with `>' at the LHS of our
ballots, and quoting other people's ballots in their entirity,
messages where the intent is unclear are likely to arise.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I do not intend this message to be
casting any vote :-).