Re: Call for Votes (Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*)

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:13:38PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>  -8<-

>  (1) The REMAIL option should not be supplanted or supplemented by
>      anything in an /etc/default file.  The current behaviour of the
>      mixmaster init script, to examine /etc/mixmaster/remailer.conf's
>      REMAIL option, is correct.

>  (2) Policy is clear and correct, and need not be changed.

>  -8<-

>   [1] Choice K: Keep current behaviour and existing policy, as above.
>   [2] Choice F: Further discussion

I agree with the rationale provided by Ian with his vote.

To the issue of whether it's proper for the TC to rule on this question,
constitutionally there is nothing that requires that bug reports be
successfully assigned to the tech-ctte virtual package in the Debian BTS
before the TC will consider it.  Indeed, the /intent/ to bring the question
before the TC is clear, and the committee has already been considering the
question in detail.  I see no reason not bring this to a speedy resolution,
answering the technical question that has been put to us; and any other
course of action would appear to have a greater impact on the time of this
body.

To whether this ruling could be misinterpreted as a decision to override the
maintainer, I don't find any ambiguity here.  Reaffirming the maintainer's
current decision, as this resolution does, should not be understood as
overriding any hypothetical future decisions on the part of the maintainer,
although it should certainly guide those decisions.