Re: Call for Votes (getaddrinfo)

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:54:51PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:51:37PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >  -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >  [ ] Choice X: Do not use rule 9, overrule maintainer, etc., as above.
> >  [ ] Choice S: Sort IPv4 addrs according to rule 9 in getaddrinfo
> >  [1] Choice M: Leave the choice up to the maintainers.
> >  [2] Choice F: Further discussion
> >  -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> The don't delete anything between these lines seems pointless since we're
> not using a program to tally votes...

> Again, if we don't think this bug is severe enough to need to be fixed
> in stable (and thus qualifies as RC), I don't think we should be overruling
> the maintainer.

> If Josip's correct in saying that this is screwing over the Debian
> apt round-robin hosts, it seems like we should be saying this is RC, but
> nobody seemed willing to do that when I brought it up earlier.

I do think that this bug warrants fixing in stable, I just don't agree that
RCness is the relevant and appropriate standard for whether the TC should
override a maintainer.  You seem to be ok with overriding the libconfig
maintainer's choice of source package name, but I haven't seen it suggested
that the libconfig package needs to be renamed in stable?

I'm amenable to including a statement about RCness in the resolution if
that's relevant to getting it passed, I just don't believe it's necessary
for getting the bug fixed in etch.

> >  12. When Debian's apt changed its behaviour to follow rule 9,
> >     it broke ftp.us.debian.org because the load suddenly became very
> >     unbalanced.  Thus this incompatibility causes actual operational
> >     problems.

> I've seen no evidence that that actually happened. There's some
> hearsay from Josip ("I'm told that thisbug also broke round-robin DNS
> functionality for ftp.us.debian.org/http.us.debian.org"), but that's it.

Josip was not the first or only person that I heard say this, but I think
the other comments were made on IRC.  I'll try to track down some hard data
on this.  From memory, the server in the http.us.debian.org rotation that
was being hit out of proportion was ike.egr.msu.edu, but I don't know yet
that this was confirmed as being a jump in relative traffic as opposed to a
jump in absolute traffic.  It would be consistent with RFC3484 behavior on
the part of hosts on 10.x.x.x intranets, though.