Re: getaddrinfo: DNS round robin vs RFC3484 s6 rule 9, for etch

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 06:23:06PM +0000, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   DNS RR is "broken" on Windows XP since SP2, Windows Vista, most *BSDs,
> Redhat and Fedora, and probably any Linux distribution out there
> (including Ubuntu LTS…). Okay it's nice to be a righteous citizen, but
> I'm not sure that fighting like you did on the CT list was worth the
> effort.

And yet writing long emails arguing that we *shouldn't* spend time on this
issue is worth the effort?

It's the constitutional charge of the Technical Committee to make a ruling
on this question that's been put before us.  We have a poor enough success
rate of following through on TC bugs without getting into side discussions
about the "worth" of a question.  Can we perhaps focus on the technical
details here?

> Service administrators (Debian systems included) will need to
> stop using DNS RR right now, because it won't work with too many systems
> anymore. Is that an issue ? I believe it is. But blame the IETF, harrass
> them.

I think it shows a poor attitude on your part that you seem to consider the
Technical Committee fulfilling its constitutional duties a form of
"harrassment".