getaddrinfo: DNS round robin vs RFC3484 s6 rule 9, for etch

I don't know if you've been following the argument on the TC list
about bug #438179.  I think the Technical Committee are probably going
to rule that sid's glibc ought to be changed so that it does not
implement RFC3484 section 6 rule 9 prefix-length based sorting for
IPv4.  This will restore the traditional DNS round robin.

We have to decide whether we want to make the same change to etch.
The main upside would be that the ftpmasters would once again be able
to use round robin DNS for eg ftp.us.debian.org.  The downside is a
glibc update in stable.

What are the views of the ftpmasters and stable RMs ?  What
verification/testing/etc. do the stable RMs feel might be
appropriate ?

Feel free to reply directly to the Technical Committee list, with
questions and/or opinions.

If you have difficulty posting, feel free to email any of the
committee who'll be happy to forward your mail (apologies for the
inconvenience, which is associated with our desire to keep the TC list
very low on spam so that we can give it good attention).