Re: Call for Votes (Re: glibc's getaddrinfo() sort order)

Ian Jackson writes ("Call for Votes (Re: glibc's getaddrinfo() sort order)"):
> There is apparently no counterproposal, so I hereby propose and call
> for a vote on the following resolution:

The one-week voting period has now finished.

Result:

 Further Discussion.

The choices were:

 Choice X: Do not use rule 9, overrule maintainer, etc., as above.
 Choice S: Sort IPv4 addrs according to rule 9 in getaddrinfo
 Choice F: Further discussion

The votes were (decreasing preference listing for each voter):

 Ian:   X F S
 Andi:  X F S
 AJ:    F XS
 Steve: F X S

Determination of the winning outcome:

 X vs. F:   2x X > F (Ian, Andi); 2x X < F (AJ, Steve).
            X therefore fails since it needs 3:1.
 S vs. F:   Everyone agrees that S < F, so S fails.
 Only F remains.

Discussion regarding supermajority mechanics:

 Constitution A.6(3) says that failing to meet a supermajority
 completely removes the option from consideration.  Therefore if
 anyone had voted  X S F  they would have left themselves open to their
 vote being counted as in favour of S due to X's elimination for lack
 of supermajority.

 In the past we have sometimes used the phrasing "we overrule the
 maintainer if we get the required supermajority".  This has a subtly
 different effect.  In this case this would have resulted in us having
 to ask the Chairman for a casting vote between X(non-overrule) and F.

 Are we 100% clear who the Chairman is at the moment ?

 There is of course a third alternative construction for the ballot:
 put both options on as separate options.  This would I think be the
 cleanest approach in cases where significant confusion might arise;
 and I think that with hindsight I ought to have done that in this
 case.  Providing two separate options means that I would have been
 able to express my preference: X(overrule) F X(non-overrule) S.

 People who propose resolutions for the TC should consider which of
 these ways of doing it are best.