[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#436093: Please decide on the "ownership" of the developers reference

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Sam Hocevar (sam@zoy.org) [070805 14:09]:
> >    Could we try to first exhaust other means of consensus reaching
> > before summoning the tech-ctte with this?

> I tried. Raphael told me:

Let me insert the start of the discussion:
<buxy> FYI, I've been working on developers-reference this afternoon, I
did several commits in case you don't receive them via the PTS like I do
<aba> that was a *very* bad idea, as we already converted the developers
reference to another format.
<buxy> why isn't it in the repository?
it's been more than a year since you last told me to stop committing
because you were in the process of converting it
<aba> perhaps you should just follow the discussion on -doc.
and I asked you to not commit stuff "just so", because I'm taking care
of it.
I would *really* like you to stop committing stuff.

> 13:00 <buxy> sorry, you have no ownership on that package
> 13:00 <aba> I disagree.
> 13:00 <aba> and that is documented.

<buxy> you removed me without asking
<aba> I didn't remove you.
<buxy> http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/developers-reference/debian/control?root=debian-doc&r1=1.23&r2=1.24&diff_format=h

In the whole IRC discussion I tried to ask him to point me to whatever
changes were pending and what problems he had. I offered him to redo my
work of yesterday on his pending version, but instead of discussing that,
he went on that issue of ownership and stopped discussing to open that
tech-ctte bug report.

> >    As for Raphaël adding himself to the Uploaders: field, I have no
> > particular opinion about it. I suggest discussing it within the team,
> > too, and either reverting the change, or reaching a common agreement
> > about upload rules (which I would obviously prefer).
> The "team" currently consists of me.

That's not what the "Maintainer" field says. And the unix group associated
is 'cvs_doc'.

> All the uploads and changes in the last 2.5 years were done by me
> (except for the french translation of course, whereas I'm in good
> contact with the appropriate translator). I picked up the package after
> a long periode of inactivity, dusted off some old bug reports, added
> lots of stuff etc.

Of course, he forbid anyone else with commit rights to commit directly.
So it's quite logic that he was alone in applying patches. I respected
his wish once because he gave a good technical reason. Now one more year
elapsed and he again gave me the same reason: the conversion to docbook
XML is pending.

I'm sorry but the place to discuss that conversion has always been the
following bug report:

There has been no messages since June 2006. And he committed lots of
stuff in the mean time. So I assumed it was ok to work on the document.
I have always been subscribed to the PTS of developers-reference
including CVS commit notices and always followed its evolution through the
years since 2002.

End of discussion for me. I'll reply to any questions from the tech-ctte

Raphaël Hertzog

Premier livre français sur Debian GNU/Linux :

Reply to: