Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

Sven Luther writes ("Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute"):
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:46:46AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Note that the TC makes decisions only as a last resort.  This means
> > that for any high profile question brought to the TC the TC members
> > are fairly likely to have seen prior discussion, formed an opinion,
> > and participated as individuals.
>
> Probably. But there is a difference between having seen prior discussion or
> even participated in the discussion, and having taken full position in favour
> of one of the parties, and repeteadly took position in a fully one-sided way.

I don't think that we should be trying to make that distinction.  To
do so would just be to prevent TC members from engaging fully in
discussions that might reach the committee.

> Participate in discussion, not fully taking party with one side.

Participating in a discussion often _does_ involve coming to a
conclusion that one side is right and then arguing for that side.

It would be bad if TC members felt they had a choice between that kind
of full participation in discussions, and their participation in the
same decisions if and when they get to the TC.

> Yes, but in this case, i feel that there is a huge risk that the taking of
> position will imply that those folk are not able to be receptive to the
> arguments of the other party.

I'm afraid I disagree and you'll just have to live with it.  Steve has
decided not to recuse himself and I haven't seen anyone else on the TC
disagree with that decision.

Ian.