Re: Cdrtools licensing

On 10614 March 1977, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>>Correct, mkisofs was initially written by someone else. JS claims that
>>there is not that much code left, but I doubt that he could relicense it
>>as he likes it.
> Yup; if needs be, we could even go back to an ancient version before
> Joerg got involved and fork from there.

Only in theory. In practice we wouldnt be able to go back *that* far, we
would lose a lot of stuff we need or want in mkisofs. But thats not a
problem, there were never claims that any file in mkisofs has license
problems. Its "only" the cdrecord.c part and the build system atm.

>>Well. He did like Debian the most of the distributions until recently
>>(where that Bug came up), as we did only very minimal changes to his
>>code. Seems like one of the last patches, which changed libscg a bit,
>>made him also angry a bit, but overall it was ok.

> There's a long history of hostility from JS towards several of the
> distros and the Linux kernel developers; he has a very abrasive style
> of "discussion" and seems very rarely (if ever) capable of admitting
> mistakes.

Yesyes, i know that, im cdrtools debian maintainer for some time now. :)

> There was some talk quite a while ago between the cdrtools maintainers
> in several of the large distros about working together to maintain
> patches and/or a fork, but it bogged down due to lack of time - see
> freedrtools.freedesktop.org for more details.

Yah. If we go the fork way we would do something similar via our
existing alioth project probably. But thats for later atm.

--
bye Joerg
<Getty> meebey: Ich kanns Dir remote machen;)