Re: Processed: Forwarding to the technical committee

On 10614 March 1977, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I can't seem to find a public archive of pkg-cdrtools-devel.  Could
> you help me out by providing a pointer ?

Yah, there is no public archive.

>> In the face of such an aggressive upstream author with strong and
>> controversial opinions about the GPL, forking may be a difficult
>> option. Complete removal from Debian might be a better option, but I'd
>> like some other opinions on this before we go to such lengths.
> IMO if we can fork it and remain confident of (a) our legal standing
> and (b) out ability to maintain the code then we should probably do
> so.
> What's the state of the alternatives to cdrecord ?

You wont find something that can replace it.

You may be able to find stuff that can replace it in some parts. But try
to find something that can replace mkisofs - you wont be able to have
something like it, with the same support for so many different
needs. Similar for cdrecord. Easiest is cdda2wav. :)

There is stuff like dvd+rw-tools, but thats not really a replacement. It
can do some parts that the non-free cdrecord-PRODVD can do, but thats
it.

No, there is no serious replacement for cdrtools.

--
bye Joerg
<elmo> I'm James Troup, long term source of all evil in Debian. you may