Re: Our supermajority requirement has changed !

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 07:49:23PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Certainly.  What I'm saying is that our voting system should not
> discourage people from expressing this in their votes.  The implied
> promise of preference voting systems is that later preferences never
> count against earlier ones, but in fact with the current system as
> amended a ballot A:B:FD count against A in A-vs-B due to the the
> ranking of B above FD.

The default option is special.

Our voting system has two aspects:  Whether something is ranked above
the default option (which means it's an option you approve of), and the
rankings between different options (which indicates which options you
favor over others).

If you approve of two options but like one better than another, you're
not being penalized if the "liked, but not liked as much" option wins
over your favorite.  Instead, you're being rewarded -- there weren't
enough votes to get you your favorite, but there were enough to get you
your alternate.

--
Raul