Re: Our supermajority requirement has changed !

Manoj Srivastava writes ("Re: Our supermajority requirement has changed !"):
> 	Yes, there is a discrepancy between  6.1(4) and A.6(3). If it
>  were possible to have 9 members of the tech ctte, then a 3.5:1 super
>  majority would also be possible, but the ctte seems to ve restricted
>  to 8 members.

Indeed.

> 	This one is a difference, but not necessarily a bug.

Well, it seems to me that if the obvious reading of one part of the
constitution is later contradicted by a close reading of the section
covering the implementation details, that's a bug.

>    If the committee is so split upon a course of action, and each
>  option is unpalatable to an equal number of members, it does seem
>  reasonable that the default option prevail. If we did get votes
>  like A B : FD (or equal numbers of A:B:FD and B : A : FD votes),
>  then the chairperson still gets to decide between A and B; and
>  again, this makes sense, since the committee wanted a resolution
>  other than the default option, but were split on which option to
>  select.

IME people nearly always put FD ahead of the options they disagree
with.  This feature also means that in the common case where
(a) everyone agrees that a decision should be made by the TC
eventually; (b) probably no-one is going to change their mind;
but (c) each individual member would prefer to revisit the issue than
to give in: it is optimal for each member to vote A:FD:B or B:FD:A,
even though this produces an outcome that is worse overall (the TC is
unable ever to decide).  Any member who votes A:B:FD effectively hands
the vote over to the other side, because now B (which they dislike)
strictly defeats FD even though their own option A (which their
B:FD:A-voting opponents dislike) is eliminated.

> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> said:
> > I think the right fix is to delete the word `strictly'.  If we do
>
> 	This is one of two possible options; one could just as easily
>  add the word strictly to 6.1(4).  I am personally inclined to remove
>  the "strictly greater" requirement from A.6(3) (indeed, my initial
>  coding up of the vote method in devotee did not adhere to "strictly
>  greater"), but I guess the project membership could decide to go the
>  other route.

I think if one were to change 6.1(4) the wording required to express
the true behaviour (_strictly more than_ 3:1 majority or some such) is
clumsy.  If the Developers decide that the quorum for the TC
overruling should really be 4 voting in favour if one votes against
then IMO the right answer is to remove `strictly' from A.6(3) and
change 3 to 3.5.

> > [It] might be better to invent a different phrase for `defeat[s]
> > the default option' in A.6(3) because `defeats the default option'
> > in A.6(3) means something different to `defeats [an option which
> > happens to be the default option]' in A.6(4) onwards.  Perhaps
> > replace `defeats' with `matches'.
>
> 	In a.6.4 onwards, there is no mention of the default option,
>  since it is no longer treated any differently than any other
>  option. I do not see any ambiguity here; perhaps I am missing
>  something.

I agree it's not ambiguous, but the dual use of the term `defeat'
could be confusing.  If we're changing it to be even less like the use
later in A.6, it would probably be better to use a different word.