Re: Technical committee mails ?

On 18 Aug 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
>  >>
>  >> I propose the following resolution:
>  >>
>  Dale> I like this, if for no other reason than it gives us three
>  Dale> proposals to consider, two of which are actually addressing the
>  Dale> same issue ;-)
>
>         Mere numbers of proposals are not something to be glad about.

But having more than one choice _is_. My only reluctance to pass your
proposal comes from the fact that I see the Technical Committee's role as
breaking a deadlock between two competing ideas, neither of which seems to
be desirable to the majority. You have been trying to use us to push
through a single proposal that doesn't seem to want to pass under normal
channels.

Having no directive to do design, the Technical Committee must rely on
others for suitable proposals. Please note the word "suitable". I admitted
at the outset that Joey's proposal did not speak to the same issues that
the symlink proposal does. However Ian's proposal is much more to the
point, at least as I see it.

When you are directed to make choices, having more than one is desirable,
but obviously bringing creationism into the argument provides nothing of
value to this (and possibly any other) discussion ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf