[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Alternative to the symlink proposal.

I'm not sure why Joey Hess felt unwilling to deliver this directly
(possibly because my request was done in private mail), but he has
delivered this alternate proposal for the move to /usr/share. (see
forwarded message below)

It is a bit more inclusive than the symlink proposal, which only deals
with the /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc transition, and includes the complete
transition of /usr to /usr/share (those components that will move, at

With this proposal, we now have an alternative proposal, and can choose
between the two, rather than just deciding whether or not to accept the
symlink proposal.

While there are things to like in Joey's proposal, I'm not sure that it
addresses the "least suprise" conditions that Manoj's proposal tries to
resolve. We may still be looking at apples and oranges.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Waiting is,

_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian Linux User's Guide"  _-_-_-_-_-_-

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (850) 656-9769
      Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
      e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308

_-_-_-_-_-_- See www.linuxpress.com for more details  _-_-_-_-_-_-_-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:22:48 -0700
From: Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>
To: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
Subject: Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Your comments about the /usr/share/doc transition has prompted this
> e-mail.
> I am very likely to get stuck with the Chair of the Technical Committee,
> and the current proposal (from Manoj) before the committee has no
> alternative proposal to judge against. I would very much appreciate your
> making a proposal to the committee as well, so we have at least two
> choices, rather than the single option currently being discussed.
> Can you do that?

Certianly. Please pass this on to the committe:

The proposal is that nothing be done to ease the transition to
/usr/share/doc, except a major update to stable be made before unstable is
released. This update will include updated versions of man, dwww, info, and
any other packages that use /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/man, or
/usr/share/info. The release notes for potato will reccommend that anyone
using a package from unstable first upgrade to the updated stable.

This is intended to be a compromise that can be acceptable to all parties,
not a technically perfect solution. The update to stable already appears to
be going to happen, with everyone in favor of it.

see shy jo

Reply to: