Re: Status of cross-building Python extension modules

Hi Dima,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 12:37:27PM -0800, Dima Kogan wrote:
> This is all helpful. As you say, you can use qemu to run foreign
> binaries. Is this something that can ever be depended on at
> package-build time? I have two scenarios I'm looking at right now:

No. By default, both sbuild and pbuilder will automatically enable
nocheck when performing a cross build. If a builder specifically wants
to enable qemu support, that's possible, but it certainly is uncommon.

> 2. Docs. One of my packages builds the binary python modules (by
>    cross-building potentially), and then loads the built modules to
>    produce the documentation. This can only work in emulation.
>    Suggestions on how to handle this? To clarify, the build system
>    builds binaries (shipped into python3-XXX:any) and docs (shipped into
>    python3-XXX-doc:all), but the docs are built by running the binaries,
>    which isn't possible when cross-building, unless we have emulation.

It's a common issue. The most frequent advice is to split your
documentation to an arch:all package. As it happens, that's already the
case for your particular package. Now the only thing you have to do is
skipping the documentation generator in an arch-only build.

Can I also ask you to get more specific? Please point to changes
performed in the archive or X-Debbugs-Cc your cross build patches to
this list. It is much easier to talk about concrete cases.

Helmut