Re: simplifying rebootstrap - breaking hurd bootstrap?

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for the quick reply.

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 12:43:05PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> And the hurd port is tested there as well, so it should be working.

Right. We should aim to reproduce what is done there to minimize the
chance of failures and regressions.

> It seems to me that libihash is indeed the only difference. It also
> seems that the reason for it was libpthread's use of libihash.
> Apparently libihash use in libpthread was removed in January 2018,
> and we forgot that we could them drop stage2.

Awesome news.

> So it seems we can indeed just drop stage2. How should I proceed to get
> a smooth transition between hurd and rebootstrap script? Or should I
> perhaps just move on and drop in the hurd package the existing stage2
> and rename stage3 into stage2, and do the same in the bootstrap script
> and submit a MR doing it, leaving bootstrap completely broken between
> those two actions?

I don't think there is any need for a smooth transition. We should go
the most efficient path as both hurd and rebootstrap are understaffed.
To me that seems to be:
 * I attempt to simplify the bootstrap to only using hurd stages 1 and
   3.
 * I give you a notice when done (mail or irc).
 * You delete stage2 and rename stage3 to stage2.
 * You upload hurd (preferably together with the -fno-commons changes).
 * You give me a notice (mail or irc).
 * I handle the rebootstrap side. I don't think there is any point in
   bothering you any more than absolutely necessary.

Also hurd's control file has a comment with pending changes after
#818618 is fixed. That bug was fixed in January 2019. Can you also
attempt to clean that up or update the comment to say what it is blocked
on now? (<- wishlist) Though #913965 remains open. Is that still
relevant after fixing #818618?

Unless you reply, I'll assume your consent to that plan and I will be
following up with my results. That'll take a few days depending on the
mood of jenkins.

Helmut