Re: flex is no longer M-A:foreign

On Mon, Feb 15 2016, Helmut Grohne wrote:

> Hi Manoj,
>
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:03:17PM -0800, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         So, we have between 5 and 6 packages in this list of 3000. I???ll
>>  see about preparing patches to submit for these, and I think we should
>>  be able to just move the current version in experimental (the ohne that
>>  does not pull in libfl-dev) to unstable, since the number of packages
>>  affected seems low.
>>
>> 	Have I missed something here?
>
> Yes, you are missing something. Did you encounter src:mig thus far? It
> also fails when libfl-dev.
>
> So those 5 packages I mentioned are "true positives". My mail also
> contained a larger number of "false positives" and what you didn't
> account for is an unknown number of "false negatives". Those cross
> builds, I was grepping there covered 3000 source packages. Rounding
> down, that'd be 10% of the archive. Assuming that those 3000 source
> packages are probabilistically independent of the 500 packages using
> flex, we'd expect 50 relevant ones to be cross built. That assumption of
> course is optimistic as well (notably none of the gccs were cross
> built). Of those 50, more than half failed for unrelated reasons. Using
> this optimistic gauge, I'd thus expect that 5/25 packages need changes.
> My (optimistic) guess thus is that we break 100 source packages.

        So abgout 0.5% of the source packages. If we are lucky.

> What we need is better data. Unfortunately, I cannot provide it atm.

> Nevertheless, deciding which route to take (dropping the flex ->
> libfl-dev dependency or renaming flex to flex-bin) is beneficial right
> now. It is the premise for filing bugs in reverse dependencies and
> fixing them and we certainly should give them a reasonable time to fix.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you are indeed going to drop the flex ->
> libfl-dev dependency? Can I base bug+patch reports on that plan?

        That is the route I was leaning towards, unless the task would
 be overwhelming, so the patches would be appreciated. Perhaps we can
 coordinate a transition, announcing the plan a bit more widely, etc.

        I’ll be willing to pitch in and help, of course.

        manoj
--
Moneyliness is next to Godliness. Andries van Dam
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C