Re: The state of cross building

Hi,

2016-01-30 20:08:09 Helmut Grohne:
> Let me give a status update on how well cross building works in
> unstable.

> Processing the logs
> -------------------
>
> I've hacked up a script that guesses failure reasons by scanning the
> logs with some regular expressions. Common issues are:
>
>  * (>800) Using the build architecture compiler or linker.

This is claimed for one of my packages (libpam-pwdfile).

The build log has an interesting line:
> dpkg-architecture: warning: specified GNU system type powerpc64le-linux-gnu does not match CC system type x86_64-linux-gnu, try setting a correct CC environment variable

And the build fails because the packages's Makefile uses $(CC) and it is not
set correctly.

I don't think it should be each package's responsibility to set variables
like CC, CXX, AR, etc. Instead they should be set by dpkg-buildpackage or
perhaps dh_auto_*.

Timo