Re: What do SMEs and consultants want from the debian project?

Hi Michelle,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 05:57:58PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2012-02-17 21:56:29, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
> > On Thursday 16 February 2012 11:05 PM, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > 1. what prevents SMEs from using debian more?
> > Lack of "Enterprise" Support. So what is enterprise support?
> I do not agree with this, because I work in Strasbourg (France) and Kehl
> (Germany) and do exactly this...

I have to disagree with your assessment. Although most of us (me too)
can, do and will support SMEs in their use of Debian, at least MEs (>=
200 employees) will often not consider the small player, but go for a
bigger player like SerNet.

Those bigger shops rarely support Debian, but rather RedHat or SuSE.

I found it to be a problem that there is no so called "long term
support" version for Debian, and only days ago, a customer of mine
realized that the long term support for Ubuntu is most likely only a
paid option, not a free one. One other thing that I found crucial to
Debian adoption is that commercial packages are usually not certified
for Debian, but only for commercial distributions.

Don't argue - if the user wants (in my case) WebSphere, AutoCAD or
Varial, he might be unwilling to bet his >$100k investment on
experiments with an "unsupported platform", but goes with what the
vendor specified. There's also more often than not no point in arguing
that WebSphere might not be that much of a good idea in the first place,
and I'm pretty confident that the free software world has nothing to
match the other two packages.

Kind regards,
--Toni++